If you are a quilter, you must know how important a quilting sewing machine is. Unlike the regular long arm quilting machines, sewing and quilting machines do not force quilters to stand for long hours while working. Hence, they make the process of quilting easier and more fun.
Also, quilting machines usually take up little space. Therefore, it can be used comfortably even in the smallest sewing spaces. More so, quilting sewing machines have one outstanding advantage: they go for very budget-friendly prices!
Did you know that you can get a good quilting machine for less than $500? In this review article, we will discuss the most affordable sewing and quilting machines. Without further ado, let’s start.
Review of the Best Sewing Machine for Quilting Under $500
Table of Contents
- 1 Review of the Best Sewing Machine for Quilting Under $500
- 2 Quilting Machine Buying Guide
- 3 What to Look for When Buying a Quilting Machine in the $500 Range
- 4 Basics of Quilting
- 5 How to Choose a Sewing Machine for Quilting
- 6 FAQs on Best Sewing Machine for Quilting Under $500
- 7 Conclusion
The following are five of the best sewing machines for a price range of under $500:
The convenient features of the Brother CS7000X quilting sewing machine make it ideal for both beginners and experienced quilters. It comes with 70 built-in stitches, which include quilting stitches, seven auto-size buttonholes, embroidery, and decorative stitches.
With the variable speed control option, you can control the machine easily. Comparing all the features this is the best mid-priced sewing machine for the quilters who are looking for a budget-friendly quilting machine.
- The machine features an improved needle threader and automatic thread cutter which automatically push the thread smoothly through the needle.
- The drop-in top bobbins of this machine are jam-resistant. Therefore, they make loading easier and ensure that the bobbins always stay in place.
- It is designed with wide table extensions, which provide a large enough workspace for crafting projects and stitch patterns.
- The sewing and quilting machine package comes with a quilt guide. Therefore, complete beginners in quilting can easily learn how to stitch and quilt using the machine.
- The Brother CS7000X quilting machine is built with a metal frame. This durable metal construction not only makes the machine highly durable but also makes it sturdy enough to tackle all sorts of quilting projects.
- The fixed needle bar allows quilters to achieve even lines and cleaner stitches.
- The user manual included in the quilting machine package is in three languages; English, French and Spanish.
- The machine tends to develop a persistent E6 error after a longer period of usage.
- The bearings in the quilting sewing machine tend to rust and wear off. Hence, it requires regular replacement.
If you are looking for a sewing machine with large throat space then HC1850 is ideal for you. Brother computerized sewing and quilting machine, HC1850 incorporates 185 built-in stitch options. Among the variety of stitches are 55 alphanumeric stitches, eight auto-size buttonholes, and 130 sewing stitches. Other accessories included in the machine package are eight feet, a wide table, eight presser feet attachments, and an instructional DVD.
- The clear LCD makes it easier for quilters to view and select their preferred stitches.
- The drop-in bobbin and automatic needle threader feature make it easier to push the thread through the needle.
- The machine package comes with a free technical support throughout the entire life of the machine. This support is usually provided online, through a live chat, or on phone.
- In addition to the lifetime technical support, the machine also comes with a 25-year limited warranty which guarantees its durability.
- Being a lightweight and portable sewing machine for quilting, the machine is ideal for taking to sewing classes.
- The jam-resistant drop-in top bobbin promotes a high-quality stitching and quilting.
- It is designed with an LCD from where quilters can easily select their stitches.
- The led light of the machine is not bright enough, which may force quilters to use additional lights.
- The power cord of the machine tends to fall out easily upon the machine’s vibrations.
There is no machine that makes quilting easier than the SINGER Quantum sewing machine. This computerized sewing machine is designed with a wide range of features that are easy to use. Among its smart features 600 built-in stitches, which include decorative, basic, and stretch stitches.
- This quality machine includes a large selection of alphanumeric fonts. The variety of fonts allows quilters to personalize their projects and come up with countless creative possibilities.
- Threading using the SINGER Quantum machine is made much easier by the built-in needle threader.
- Being automatic, the needle threader does the threading for you. By so doing, it helps to eliminate any eye-straining and frustration.
- The machine has a maximum sewing speed of up to 850 stitches per minute. Hence, it makes it possible for quilters to sew and quilt their projects very quickly.
- The walking foot of the SINGER Quantum sewing machine for quilting cannot be used simultaneously with the quilting bar. This makes it hard to maintain an even distance between rows.
Brother sewing & quilting machines are very popular in the quilting industry. Up next, another good quilting machine under $500 is Brother XR9550PRW, a computerized type of sewing and quilting machine. It is designed with 165 built-in stitches, which include 55 alphanumeric stitches and 110 built-in utility, heirloom, and decorative stitches. The quilting sewing machine package also includes eight sewing presser feet attachments, a wide extension table, and a protective hardcover for keeping dust away.
- The Brother XPR9550PRW machine is designed with an intuitive LCD which allows quilters to choose their preferred settings and stitches with a simple push of a button.
- The built-in needle threader ensures that threading is done automatically and more conveniently.
- The different styles of auto-size buttonholes and stitches allow quilters to construct masterpieces of their choosing and creativity.
- The quilting sewing package comes with a wide table, which provides a large working area for large quilting projects, heavy fabrics, and materials.
- The 25-year limited warranty included in the package guarantees the high quality and durability of the Brother XPR9550PRW sewing and quilting machine.
- The drop-in top bobbin casing tends to slip out of position quite easily.
- The Brother XPR9550PRW quilting machine is not ideal for sewing fleece fabric.
The brand Heureux might not be popular like Brother or Janome. But this quilting machine is absolutely a good performer within the price range and can be used basic sewing to quilting even embroidery. The machine features 200 built-in stitches, and those can be easily selected with an LCD display incorporated in the machine. Also, with a weight of only 11.6 pounds, the Heureux Sewing and Quilting Machine can be easily carried to quilting classes or groups.
The machine also features a quick-set bobbin and an automatic needle threader. The package comes with all the necessary materials you will need for quilting, such as several sewing feet, a screwdriver, and three bobbins. It also includes a slide-out tray where the accessories can be conveniently kept.
- The Machine is very lightweight.
- It comes with all the basic quilting accessories.
- It is built with a handle which makes it easy to carry.
- Adding an embroidery foot can make it an embroidery machine also.
- Lifetime phone support and good customer services.
- The machine operates quite noisily.
Quilting Machine Buying Guide
Before you buy a quilting sewing machine, you need to ask yourself one very crucial question: What is most important to you when quilting? Different hobby sewing machines have different accessories, add-ons, and capabilities. Therefore, what may be good for you may not be ideal for another quilter.
Also, before purchasing, you need to consider the types of fabric and clothes that you will be sewing. Buy the quilting sewing machine which can quilt your fabric with ease. For instance, denim and canvas require heavy-duty sewing machines.
Other key features that you need to consider when purchasing a quilting machine includes:
- Automatic Buttonhole stitches – These allow quilters to perform button sewing activities at lightning-fast sewing speeds.
- Needle threader – Automatic needle threader makes threading a lot easier and faster.
- Stitch width and length – The length and width of your stitches should be easy to adjust.
What to Look for When Buying a Quilting Machine in the $500 Range
The following are three important basic features you need to look for when buying a budget-friendly quilting machine:
1.) The Built-in Stitches Offered
If you are a beginner quilter, choose a quilting machine that offers just two stitches: zigzag and straight. On the other hand, those with enough experience in quilting can go for machines that offer more options. Also, ensure that the stitches of your quilting machine can be easily adjusted.
2.) Frame Construction
Undoubtedly, you wouldn’t want to invest in a quilting machine of poor quality. Therefore, to ensure the durability of your sewing machine for quilting, choose that which is built with high-quality metal frames.
3.) Extra Features and Accessories
It goes without saying that, the more the extra accessories the quilting machine has, the better it is. Some extra features of quilting sewing machines make quilting much easier, such as automatic needle threader, buttonholes, free arm for sewing, an adjustable sewing speed, and stitch speeds.
Basics of Quilting
In simple terms, quilting can be described as the process of sewing pieces of fabric together. To start quilting, you will need a sewing quilting machine, needles, and the right type of fabric. Since quilting involves sewing many little pieces of fabric together, the first thing you need to learn is how to cut.
After cutting the squares, triangles, rectangles, and other fabric shapes, you can then start creating the basic block patterns. And if you are the creative type, you can even design your custom quilt blocks.
The final process of quilting involves assembling the quilting blocks together, then sewing them to make fancy quality quilts. The patching together of quilt blocks can be compared to the process of putting together a puzzle, with each piece fitting perfectly in place to form a beautiful, final piece.
How to Choose a Sewing Machine for Quilting
To make a superb choice on which quilting machine to buy, you first need to familiarize yourself with the three different types of sewing machines for quilting:
These are the most basic types of quilting machines. The major advantage of these machines is that they tend to be very sturdy and rarely break down. However, manual sewing machines are very slow and also require a lot of hassle on the part of the quilter.
An electronic sewing machine for quilting features a single powerful motor that powers the needle. It allows quilters to adjust stitching speeds and settings easily. Machines under this list make quilting easier by allowing quilters to control fabrics with only their hands.
Computerized quilting sewing machines have additional features and stitch options than other quilting machines. Therefore, if you regularly work with a wide variety of quilting projects, then you would do well to buy a computerized quilting machine.
FAQs on Best Sewing Machine for Quilting Under $500
What Brand of Sewing Machine is Best for Quilting?
The top five sewing machine manufacturers are Brother, Singer, Bernina, Janome, and Juki. In addition to manufacturing some of the best quilting sewing machines, these brands offer superb warranties that guarantee the quality and durability of their machines.
Can a Quilting Machine be Used for Sewing?
Indeed, quilting machines can be used for sewing. After all, a quilting machine is just an advanced type of sewing machine. Even though a quilting machine has more capabilities and add-ons than a regular sewing machine, it can still be used for sewing clothes.
Which Sewing Machine is Recommended for Quilting and Why?
The most recommended sewing machine for quilting is the SINGER Quantum Stylist 9960 sewing and quilting machine. This computerized quilting machine offers a wide variety of stitch options that allow quilters to perform any quilting project. Also, it is one of the most durable quilting sewing machines you can find in the market.
What’s the Difference Between a Quilting Machine and Sewing Machine?
Quilting and sewing machines have many similarities in design and functionality. It is no wonder that both can be used for quilting and sewing. However, despite their many similarities, quilting and sewing machines have several differences.
For instance, while sewing machines offer a smaller work area, quilting machines provide larger work areas, such that even bulky projects can be easily created. Also, quilting machines tend to offer faster sewing speeds than sewing machines.
Do you love quilting? Well, you could still use your well-loved sewing machine to quilt. But why would you opt for just any other regular sewing machine when you could get an even much better sewing machine for quilting at an affordable price?
What’s an even better, quilting sewing machine ensures that you achieve perfect quilt projects in no time? So, if you want to go easy on your wallet money, get yourself one of the five best sewing machines for quilting under $500 price ranges.
Disclaimer: Please note, we do not publish sponsored posts. However, our posts contain affiliate links, where we may receive compensation for any purchases you make. This does not affect the price you pay. Thanks for trusting our site!